Thursday, August 27, 2015

Themes in Conceptual Film: My Focus for the Year

For my independent study, I am really interested in exploring themes of fantasy and including a theme of nostalgia as part of my focus for the year. The world we live in, especially in America, is falling apart, and it gives everyone a sense of longing for the simpler times, the happier times of childhood.

One major part of my own personal childhood, as I’m sure it was for most people around my age and for all the 90’s kids, was cartoons and animation. The 90’s became the era that started the rise of the modern cartoon and introduced 3D animation as a source of entertainment. The Simpsons began running in the 90s and is the longest-running cartoon on TV. Japanese Anime started becoming popular in America, shows like Pokemon and Sailor Moon. I really want to try and capture that same sense of nostalgia that we get when we think of our childhood, and I hope to do this through animations of my own.

Also, Disney has been a part of people’s childhoods since the 20s. As well as having their own sense of fantasy, Disney movies are a huge source of nostalgia. Everyone can remember Disney movies from their childhood. I really want to try and capture not only the sense of fantasy of classic Disney movies, but also the sense of nostalgia that people get from watching them.


I want to explore these crucial parts of my childhood and the process of making them and use them as inspiration for my final project. I want to capture the sense of fantasy and whimsy I remember from these as a child and share that with other people. I plan to explore different animation and film techniques and use those in my final project in ways that express my view and accomplish what I have laid out for you here.

No comments:

Post a Comment